In early 1820 the town of Bovina was formed when portions of Delhi, Stamford and Middletown were combined. Derived from the Latin word bovinus, meaning cattle, the town was named by General Erastus Root because the farmers in the area were pioneers in the dairy trade. At its founding, Bovina had 36 farms and 42 families mostly of Scottish decent.
In 1902, the Bovina Center Cooperative was established and supported 67 dairies for the production of milk and related products. Although Bovina was known for its milk and butter production, it also became well known for growing cauliflower. In 1926 The Bovina Cauliflower Growers Cooperative was created. Milk and cauliflower were a boon for the town until the 1960s, when competition from larger mid-west farms ultimately put the town out business.
In recent years, Bovina has seen a resurgence in dairy farming. Several farms are producing beef, chickens, eggs and dairy products. Revived interest in farming and farm-to-table dining coupled with agritourism brings record number of visitors each summer.