In the early 1800s, the hamlet of Griffin’s Corners occupied the east end of what is now known as Fleischmanns. By the 1870s when the Ulster & Delaware Railroad made transportation possible from New York City into the Catskills, Griffin’s Corners began to see growth in summer visitors. As farmers discovered they could make better income on residents escaping the city summer heat, numerous large and medium size hotels began to emerge in the area.
Seeing an opportunity, the Fleischmann family (of yeast fame and fortune) bought land above the railroad and built a family compound with five mansions and several outbuildings. This started a trend and others from New York City began building summer and weekend homes nearby. For many years the area boomed in the summers. In 1913, Griffin’s Corners joined the west end of town and the combined hamlets officially became the Village of Fleischmanns.
By the 1960s, the grand resort town of Fleischmanns became viewed as old-fashion and began to decay. During its glory days the village was known as one of the most affluent areas in the Catskills. At the end of the Great Recession, Fleischmann’s started seeing a renewed interest and gentrification from a new crop of weekenders looking for refuge from city life is bringing welcomed liveliness to the area.